Massage Therapy for Neck Pain
- Tuesday, 28 September 2021
A professional massage, like the ones we offer in our Fulham clinic, is one of the best and most enjoyable ways to treat neck and shoulder pain.
What are the most common causes of neck pain?
Neck and shoulder pain is one of the most frequent issues for which our clients require treatment; the reasons why it occurs vary, although our team identified the most common ones:
- bad posture, for example bending your neck when typing on your phone or sitting at your desk for a long time
- stress, which may lead the shoulders to shrink and the neck to tense up
- awkward positions during sleep
- a pinched nerve
- an injury, for example a fall or whiplash from a traffic accident
How can Massage Therapy help?
Although it's impossible to avoid stress or tension, a regular massage helps prevent injuries and keep the neck and shoulder area as relaxed as possible. The pressure and the movements that the therapists use to manipulate soft tissues, such as muscles and tendons, facilitate the reduction of tension, the increase of blood circulation and promote an overall well-being feeling.
The client can choose to focus the massage on the affected areas only, however our therapists usually recommend to treat other areas apart from neck and shoulders, such as the back, as these regions are frequently connected even in cases where just the neck is symptomatic, in order to ensure a full recovery.
What types of Massages are recommended?
The most common massages used to treat neck and shoulders pain are:
- Swedish Massage, (a popular choice at our Fulham clinic) which focuses on promoting relaxation throughout the entire body. It involves long, steady strokes, which are typically performed in the direction of blood flow to the heart. Kneading and friction motions may also be included.
- Deep Tissue Massage, which typically uses deeper strokes and friction to work on deeper layers of the muscles and connective tissues, is a great option when the pain is chronic and particularly acute.
- Trigger Point Massage, which focuses on treating specific “knots” of pain, helps release tension and stiffness from the muscles, increasing the mobility and the overall flexibility of the body.
At the end of each session, our therapists at the Fulham clinic will also recommend a series of stretching exercises, that will bring relief to sore neck and shoulders and will help keep a good posture. If you would like to know more on how a professional massage can support your specific needs, please do not hesitate to get in touch and our team will be happy to help.
We look forward to seeing you soon in our Fulham clinic!